Monday, March 12, 2018

Fulfilled by Motherhood?

Maybe it's the gloomy winter weather.

Maybe it's because I just got over the influenza after a week down.

Maybe it's because my 2 year old just got over influenza symptoms that lasted almost 3 weeks.

Maybe it's because what I've been reading just doesn't match Scripture.

But, man I am exhausted by many of the articles I have read about motherhood recently.

I just finished reading one about how a mom regretted yelling at her kids after a bad day of nothing going her way. Yes, I have been there. No, I do not think it was right. 

At the end of the article, it wraps up with a sentiment of knowing that motherhood is rough, and she's  thankful there's a tomorrow, and that motherhood is a beautiful thing. But, really, where is the Gospel in that? Where is the admittance that it's wrong to react this way and then follow through on repentance because we can in Christ? I am not trying to shame this lady because I don't know if she is a believer, but I think to myself that it seems so hopeless to just call something that is hard to do a beautiful thing and hope for the best for tomorrow.

As believers we can nod in agreement in the failures - and yes, it's nice to know you're not the only one. But, let's not stop there. God's grace is sufficient; His mercies are new every morning. We have hope because of the Gospel, so let's act on it. Turn away from what our sin nature draws us to, and strive to be Christ-like in our mothering by turning our kids to Him. We might have to humbly apologize for our behavior against them, but we get to show them that forgiveness is real in our home and real with God. Don't just embrace the messiness of life, but embrace the Giver of your life. He's right there along side you, and you are not doing this alone.

No comments: