Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Catching Up

I had a great time visiting with my family last week. It was nice just being together and hanging out. The hardest part, of course, is leaving. Does anyone else deal with all those emotions after visiting loved ones? I feel like someone is hoeing over my emotions over & over again. It makes you think & wish things that are out of your control, like I wish my husband's seminary was closer to my family or I wish we had more money so we could visit more often, etc. It's incredibly hard to give your heart & desires back to the Lord & say I know this is hard, but it is best because this is where You want me. It can be so terrible, I ALMOST don't want to go visit because I know what the aftermath is going to be like. I said ALMOST!

While I was in CO, I visited the Ladies' Sunday School Class at my home church(Geoff was in PA being a bachelor for the week). Mrs. Corwine was teaching on self-discipline--how convicting is that! Especially when you think back to your house & closet that are not spic & span due to the busyness of trying to pack & prepare for your trip! She was using one Elizabeth Elliot's books to teach out of (in combination with the Bible, of course). I'll definitely need to buy that book and get some more information out of it. I find myself buysing myself with things that should not be the priority of my time, even though they are good things, but if I do them, then the responsibilities slide. I can try to justify myself by saying I work 40 hours/week, am involved with our youth group at church, etc., so who cares if my house isn't the cleanest! I'm too busy! Guess I just need to put down that book or crochet or turn off that program on TV & face the responsibilities, and work on self discipline! Geoff pointed out that we as a couple really need to work on it in general because we'll want to be examples to our future children. So, off to the laundry I go!

4 comments:

Heather said...

Pamela,

You don't know me, but I came across your blog when I read your comment on Shyla's blog. Hope you don't mind me reading yours. I am a NBBC grad. I think I know of your husband. I worked in the Maintenance Department when he worked there. He probably does not remember me, I was just a secretary who the guys made fun of….anyway, I just wanted to comment on what you said about visiting your family. I too, hate leaving my family when I visit them in PA. The emotions usually overwhelm me, and I am pretty miserable the day of our departure. At first, I fought it with everything I had. Now, I am learning that where I am is where the Lord wants me! There is no where better to be than in the center of HIS will. Once I am back at home, and in my routine it becomes so much easier, and I simply just go on with my life! The Lord has been so good to me because the last year and a half after we moved from PA, I have had LITTLE homesickness. It is just the leaving part that I HATE!!!

Anyway, all that to just say, I understand how you feel!
Heather

pamela s said...

Thanks Heather,
Just glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. It's great it doesn't last forever. Thankfully we're busy enough to keep our minds occupied.
Pam

pamela s said...

Heather,
Geoff & I both remember you from Northland (I had to show him a picture & then he remembered :). He did work in Maint., & everyone called him G-off. When I first met him, I didn't know what to call him, b/c everyone would call him G-off. :) Whenever he starts talking about snow crew he starts to get nostalgic. It's kinda funny.

Heather said...

Pamela,

I am going to have to get my yearbook out...if you know who I am and I don't know who you are...that will bother me. :) When I went to college, I got so wrapped up in my studies (they always made fun of how much work and no play I did) Then I met Kevin...if I wasn't studying or working I was at the apartments with the Watsons.
I do remember Geoff and the crew that worked with Kelly (sp?). How could I forget them?

Have a great day,
Heather