Monday, October 01, 2018

Reactions

We just finished a parenting series via video by Paul Tripp who I very much respect as he uses his God-given gift to weave God's Word into real-life scenarios. After each session, I have walked away feeling a bit bruised and beaten because my parenting is not perfect. I appreciate the way that Tripp always encouraged us to keep going because God's grace is bountiful. 

What I have found interesting is the ways that people around me have reacted to this teaching. We have all realized that we are not perfect and that our parenting is not perfectly aligned with how God would want it to be, but we have had very different reactions to the teaching.

  • Regret - a feeling that I messed up many times over the years and wish I could go back to re-do them.
  • Perseverance - realizing that I have not done well recently, and I must redirect how I am parenting to get back on a better course.
  • Surrender - the attitude that because I have failed in the past, I would like to give up and throw in the towel and walk away.
What is the correct response? Is there a correct response. They obviously all recognize the wrong doing, but what should be the attitude for the future? Confession and repentance for a believer should probably be involved no matter what the initial response is. I think Philippians 3 helps us with the next step: 

12 Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. 13 Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15 Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you.16 Only let us hold true to what we have attained.

No comments: